Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One Activity Starter...Sooo Many Uses!

I recently finished reading an amazing book titled, 10 Mindful Minutes by Goldie Hawn. There were so many useful ideas and activities to help children (and adults) learn to be self-aware and happy. The premise is that being self-aware helps each one of us get to a calm place when needed, make rational decisions, be kind to others, and be truly happy. (This is a way too simplified explanation. I highly recommend reading the book.)

One activity from the book really resonated with me, so I put it to use at home after reading about it. Here is the loosely translated activity with a variation I added at the end...

The Traffic Signal Game
  • Print out a photo of, draw, or create a traffic signal light with green, yellow and red.
  • Use the color signals as a guide on any emotion that children need help processing and/or controlling (fear, anger, sadness, etc.).
    • green = calm, rational decision-making, fully aware and in control of emotion
    • yellow = heightened emotion, considers ways to respond and get back to green
    • red = highest level of emotion, time for mindful breathing to calm enough to make decision on how to respond
  • Go through the colors with the children discussing examples of each color. Have them explain/show what it may look like, how it may feel, etc.
  • Decide where to place traffic signal in room/house where all can use it as a reminder and reference when needed.
  • The next time there is an issue, refer to the traffic signal to help the child learn how to talk himself through calming and rational decision-making.

Variation/Addition to Activity:
  • Have each child make their own personal traffic signal to put where they wish.
    • This encourages the next step of self-awareness and the child helping themselves get to the green when needed.
  • Using a clothespin, have the child clip it to the color he/she is in. When the emotions change, the clothespin can move.
    • This is a great way to communicate when the words are not coming together, or the child just needs help and doesn't know how to get it out calmly. It also is a tangible and concrete method to help explain the emotions.
    • To personalize this, I had my daughter decorate her clothespin the way she wanted and choose a place in her room where she would like to have it.




I have seen this one idea used many ways in schools, but liked this version the most. When I read about this version I immediately thought of toddlers and teens. Many of us know that both groups are virtually the same breed...hehehe...

Has anyone else used an activity like this, had success, experience anything they want to share?

Has anyone else read this book and have any insight, opinion, ideas on other activities mentioned?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this activity; it's something we're definitely going to try in our home.
    We have tried something like this when trying to teach our 3 year old how to read body language. My husband and I would act out scenarios and have our daughter explain what each person's body language represents. At first, I had to initiate this activity. Lately, my daughter has been asking us to do it which makes me believe what she's seeing is finally sinking-in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you blogged about the traffic signal activity. I introduced it morning, acting out what feelings might look like in each "zone" of green, yellow, and red. We have a "family" traffic signal up in our home (a great process for kids AND parents). In addition, my 3 year old made her own, just like the one pictured above.
    By this afternoon, when my daughter was getting frustrated with the behavior of her 1 year old sister, she was able to move her clothespin and actually verbalize, "Mommy, I'm in the yellow zone wanting to move into the red." I was so proud of her for recognizing her emotions and communicating them to me rather than speaking/yelling at her sister in what we call "an ugly voice."
    This is a useful tool, as far as I can tell from our 1 day with it so far, that will surely highten self-awarenss and communication within our family. Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete